mpg123 not included, why?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sun Jan 10 21:41:30 UTC 2016

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 22:25:20 +0100, Philip Brown wrote:

> on the contrary, the information was given to resolve concerns about
> acquiring codecs without having to install rpmfusion. i think it
> achieves that.

The subject is about mpg123, which is not related to GStreamer at all.
The message you replied to is about RPMfusion in general.

> like i said, it is suitable for gnome apps, so that also achieves that.

And you still would need to resolve dependencies *yourself*, which
defeats the purpose of tools like Yum or DNF. They would pull in what's
needed. It may even be a specific version of a library package that's
needed.

> > And what about the
> > dependencies of those GStreamer plugins? Do you really fetch all those extra
> > rpms and extract them to a local path to be added to runtime linker's search path?
> no. i extracted like 2 or 3 rpms and put the .so files in my plugins folder.

You need at least the following packages as dependencies,

  libmad
  libmimic
  libmms
  opencore-amr
  vo-amrwbenc

for the plugins in "gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld" and
"gstreamer1-plugins-ugly".

And a "dnf install gstreamer1-plugins\*" here wants to install
"35 Packages", while some dependencies probably are installed already.