mpg123 not included, why?

Philip Brown philip.brown at kiwienglish.es
Sun Jan 10 22:43:38 UTC 2016

> On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 22:25:20 +0100, Philip Brown wrote:
>
>> on the contrary, the information was given to resolve concerns about
>> acquiring codecs without having to install rpmfusion. i think it
>> achieves that.
> The subject is about mpg123, which is not related to GStreamer at all.
> The message you replied to is about RPMfusion in general.
>
>> like i said, it is suitable for gnome apps, so that also achieves that.
> And you still would need to resolve dependencies *yourself*, which
> defeats the purpose of tools like Yum or DNF. They would pull in what's
> needed. It may even be a specific version of a library package that's
> needed.
>
>>> And what about the
>>> dependencies of those GStreamer plugins? Do you really fetch all those extra
>>> rpms and extract them to a local path to be added to runtime linker's search path?
>> no. i extracted like 2 or 3 rpms and put the .so files in my plugins folder.
> You need at least the following packages as dependencies,
>
>    libmad
>    libmimic
>    libmms
>    opencore-amr
>    vo-amrwbenc
>
> for the plugins in "gstreamer1-plugins-bad-freeworld" and
> "gstreamer1-plugins-ugly".
>
> And a "dnf install gstreamer1-plugins\*" here wants to install
> "35 Packages", while some dependencies probably are installed already.
Ok Michael, I can see you don't like this.

however, in a couple of very simple steps, this gives me a very usable
multimedia system on my default fedora workstation without having to
install any additional repos. which for me is awesome.

and I can confirm all I had to do was download and extract .so files
from the following 2 rpms:
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/22/Everything/x86_64/os/repoview/gstreamer1-libav.html
http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/22/Everything/x86_64/os/repoview/gstreamer-plugins-ugly.html

really that simple, no dealing with runtime linker search paths,
additional rpm dependencies  or anything like that.

ok I admit, in the long run, maybe it is planless, however this is not
intended as a complete solution intended to work forever, it will get
you up and running now and will probably keep working in the future but
as listed above it is not a repo sysyem with dnf/yum updates and there
will come a day when dependencies mismatch but... c'est la vie.