mpg123 not included, why?

Philip Brown philip.brown at kiwienglish.es
Mon Jan 11 13:11:13 UTC 2016

On 01/11/2016 01:21 PM, Ian Malone wrote:
> On 11 January 2016 at 11:42, Philip Brown <philip.brown at kiwienglish.es> wrote:

>>> Yes, this is why I don't see any benefit to this approach at all. You
>>> have to manually download the right rpms, extract libraries, move them
>>> into place and then they'll stop working if you ever update the
>>> installed programs. On top of which codecs are a great target for
>>> vulnerabilities, so worth keeping them up to date. To me this seems
>>> much more work than installing the rpmfusion repo, which involves
>>> clicking two links at <http://rpmfusion.org/>, and you get a less
>>> reliable setup out of it. The rpmfusion guys do a great job and it
>>> integrates with the fedora repos, many of the people there are also
>>> fedora project packagers. Particularly over things like gstreamer
>>> where the plugins provided will work with fedora gstreamer directly.
>>>
>> never be able to run yum again?????
>> I have been running this workaround for close to a year and dnf/yum is still
>> fully operational.
>> I am merely placing a few library files in my home folder. pray tell, how is
>> this going to blow up my system???
>>
> Not what I said.

that is reassuring =)

>> i understand you have nothing against the RPMFusion system and therefore
>> there would be absolutely no benefit for you. however the poster whom I
>> replied to, like me, had concerns and this is simply my workaround.
>>

> What is your concern about RPMFusion? You seem to imply you have
> something against it.

bad past experience, could have been livna, it was a long time ago and I
never used it since. I imagine it should be a lot better now, however
seeing as I only need these few files I prefer just to download them
rather than having an extra repo system.  The updates for these rpms are
few and far between (last updates were Sept 2014 and May 2015) so it
does not really add much to my workload.