mpg123 not included, why?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 14:40:55 UTC 2016

On Sun, 10 Jan 2016 23:43:38 +0100, Philip Brown wrote:

> > And a "dnf install gstreamer1-plugins\*" here wants to install
> > "35 Packages", while some dependencies probably are installed already.
> Ok Michael, I can see you don't like this.
>
> however, in a couple of very simple steps, this gives me a very usable
> multimedia system on my default fedora workstation without having to
> install any additional repos. which for me is awesome.
>
> and I can confirm all I had to do was download and extract .so files
> from the following 2 rpms:
> http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/22/Everything/x86_64/os/repoview/gstreamer1-libav.html
> http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/22/Everything/x86_64/os/repoview/gstreamer-plugins-ugly.html

That doesn't make it much better, since it mixes plugins for GStreamer 0.10.x
and GStreamer 1.x, and applications based on either one don't support the
other one.

And while you would get less plugins, if installing only the stuff from those
two rpms, there still is a dependency on two external packages. If "libmad"
for MP3 decoding is not installed already, the GStreamer plugin using it would
not work at all:

# dnf install gstreamer1-libav gstreamer-plugins-ugly
Dependencies resolved.
 Package            Arch   Version         Repository                      Size
Installing:
 gstreamer-plugins-ugly
                    x86_64 0.10.19-18.fc23 rpmfusion-free-updates-testing 333 k
 gstreamer1-libav   x86_64 1.6.2-1.fc23    rpmfusion-free-updates-testing 230 k
 libmad             x86_64 0.15.1b-17.fc23 rpmfusion-free-updates-testing  78 k
 opencore-amr       x86_64 0.1.3-4.fc22    rpmfusion-free                 178 k

Transaction Summary
Install  4 Packages

Total download size: 819 k
Installed size: 2.0 M
Is this ok [y/N]:

> really that simple, no dealing with runtime linker search paths,
> additional rpm dependencies  or anything like that.

Wrong. As shown above. You would need to extract the "libmad" shared lib
and all other runtime dependencies in a similar way to decouple it from the
RPM based system installation. Or else any package update could replace libmad
with an upgrade that's incompatible with the plugins you've extracted.