mpg123 not included, why?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 14:21:55 UTC 2016

On 12 January 2016 at 13:40, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> such as when searching for ID3
>> tags in an MP3 file.
>

> You could also use gnu 'tail' part of gnu textutils -I believe it's now
> called coreutils-, to get the last 'n'  bytes of a file, and there's your
> ID3 info...

Well, you'd use id3info, because the id3v2 tag is not guaranteed to be
a particular length and may also contain binary information. But,
correct tool aside, the more relevant point is this information is not
actually available to a player that is playing this as an input stream
until the complete stream has been received. If you want to do that
you have to cheat and cache everything before you start playback. Or,
in more general terms, doing anything non-linear with multimedia
information is very difficult to handle in a streamed manner.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk