mpg123 not included, why?

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:25:07 UTC 2016

On 13 January 2016 at 06:58, Tim <ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Tim:
>>> That can't be the only place they're put.
>

> Fernando Cassia:
>> The ID3 info is put at the end of MP3 files, that is per design.
>> (Actually, a clever hack, so mp3 player that don't know anything about
>> id3 could still play the files).
>
> But I've listened to radio streams using MP3 encoding, and it's had data
> about what's on while it's on, not after.

Various ways this can be done, ID3v2 goes at the start for this
purpose (though later versions can be put at the end too, just to be
confusing). But it can also be communicated out of channel, e.g.
https://forums.radiotoolbox.com/viewtopic.php?t=74 "Client to server"
and "meta title streaming", shoutcast provides titles in the returned
request header, it also includes metadata at intervals (and the header
says what intervals, at least that's my understanding). In both cases
the method is negotiated between client and server, to avoid tripping
up clients that don't understand this information.

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk