dnsmasq for simple names

Tom H tomh0665 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 18:45:37 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 14, 2016 at 5:49 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-01-14 at 15:48 +0100, Tom H wrote:

>> Assuming that your local network is 192.168.1.0 and your local
>> domainname is "poc".
>>
>> 1) If you run dnsmasq on the clients and the server:
>>
>> - set a domain in your client and server hostname configs
>>
>> - run dnsmasq on the clients with "--server=/poc/ip_address_of_server
>> --rev-server=192.168.1.0/24,ip_address_of_server"
>
> Thanks for replying, but I'm not sure this is what I want:

You're welcome.

> 1) I'm trying not to set any domain, just use local simple
> (unqualified) names.

How will the resolver know whether "patrick1" (example host from my
earlier email) is a meant to be resolved via a local or an upstream
server?

> 2) My understanding of dnsmasq is that it acts as a DNS server (among
> other things) so there should be no need to run it on the client side
> as long as the client has a resolver, which they basically all do.

I wasn't sure how you set up your systems, so I gave a (possible)
solution with dnsmasq on the clients and one without.

> Furthermore, although the man page does talk about lots of command-line
> options I expect these can all be handled via the config file, which is
> what I'm trying to do.

I looked for "man dnsmasq.conf" but it doesn't seem to exist.

You can override the Fedora-supplied dnsmasq.service with a systemd drop-in.

I've just downloaded and expanded the dnsmasq rpm. Going through
"/etc/dnsmasq.conf", IIUC, for my previous example:

server=/poc/192.168.1.111
server=/1.168.192.in-addr.arpa/192.168.1.111
local=/poc/

> Thanks again.

You're welcome.