OT: Upgradeing Windows 7 to 10 on a Dual Boot System?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Jan 15 03:19:58 UTC 2016

My Classroom Lab at the College has Lenovo I7 computers that came with
Windows 7 about 2 years ago. I changed them to dual boot with Fedora, and
just recently upgraded them to Fedora 23. Never had any issues with the
installation of the Fedora or doing updates. I wanted to check out the
Windows 10 upgrade process on one machine, but have run into all kinds of
issues.

1. Booting the Windows 7, the Windows 10 upgrade would just keep showing
the option to request the upgrade and I would be notified. Never got any
notification??
2. When thru some web pages, and found a link that was upgrade now, and
it seemed to down and go thru the process of getting the Windows 10 files.
Said it was going to reboot, and install. It rebooted, and still had the grub
menu, so selected the windows option, and it seemed to be doing something,
but then came up with an error message and said it could complete. Took me
to a web page, but of couse the error number wasn't anywhere to be found
there or on a search. Just restored the W7 image, so dual boot process is
fine.

Are there any tricks to getting the upgrade to work with a dual boot setup.
Don't know if the Windows 10 upgrade can not handle a grub boot loader
setup?

Thanks.

Use Linux for all my courses, but other teachers sometimes need to do
things on the windows, and wanted to at least take a look at it.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes