Finding the date on which a Fedora 23 was installed on a given machine

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Jan 15 15:49:59 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-01-15 at 10:34 +0000, Christopher Ross wrote:
> # rpm -qi fedora-release

Occasionally, even *that* package gets updated, so it's not an indicator
of install time.  Unless someone else knows of something intended to show
you the installation date, you are better off looking for some files in
the /root directory that get created as part of the installation routine.

e.g. Inside my /root:

-rw-------. 1 root root     1227 Apr 23  2014 anaconda-ks.cfg
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root     1244 Apr 24  2014 initial-setup-ks.cfg

But, rpm -qi fedora-release:

Name        : fedora-release
Version     : 20
Release     : 4
Architecture: noarch
Install Date: Tue 26 May 2015 03:08:20 ACST

And, rpm -q --changelog fedora-release:

* Thu May 14 2015 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-4
- add the Fedora 22 gpg keys rhbz#1220358

* Wed Feb 19 2014 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-3
- bump for downstream breakage

* Wed Feb 19 2014 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-2
- provide system-release(%version) rhbz#1047058

* Wed Nov 27 2013 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-1
- enabled metadata caching for fedora
- disable updates-testing
- obsolete fedora-release-rawhide < the last shipped rawhide build

* Wed Nov 13 2013 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-0.8
- patch from Will Woods to use a archmap file for linking gpg keys
- add f21 keys
- add fields to /etc/os-release for rhbz#951119
- set skip_if_unavailable=False for rhbz#985354

* Tue Sep 03 2013 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-0.7
- set Fedora 20 release name

* Fri Aug 30 2013 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-0.6
- update the fedora 20 secondary arch key it had been created
incorrectly

* Tue Aug 20 2013 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-0.5
- disable rawhide
- enable fedora, updates and updates-testing
- disable 7d metadata cache for fedora
- Obsolete older fedora-release-rawhide

* Wed Jul 31 2013 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-0.4
- link armhfp gpg key to primary since its now living there

* Mon Jul 08 2013 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-0.3
- fix up typo

* Wed Jun 19 2013 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-0.2
- add f20 keys
- switch mirrorlist= to metalink= bz#948788
- add bugzilla fields to os-release for brokeness in abrt bz#961477
- add releasever into gpgkey paths
- use consistent macros for dist_release value

* Tue Mar 12 2013 Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> - 20-0.1
- setup for f20
- 64 bit arm arch is aarch64 not arm64
- drop sparc arches

 --- snip ---

Obviously most of that is pre-release, but some of it is post.

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.