disk encryption

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Fri Jan 15 21:24:22 UTC 2016

> On 01/14/2016 06:40 PM, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
>> I installed Fedora 23 on a Laptop a while back and I decided to use disk
>> encryption.  At this point I find the disk encryption to be more of a
>> hindrance and would like to remove it.
>>
>> Am I correct that it may simply be easier to re-install the system
>> rather than try to remove the encryption or is there an easy way to
>> remove it?
>
> You're not saying if you encrypted the whole system or no.
>
> To remove the encryption, you'll need to reformat any encrypted
> partitions, which means moving your data somewhere else.
>
> Now, if you only encrypted the /home partition and had enough space on
> other partitions, you could move the data away, reformat the partition
> /home is situated, and move the data back.
>
> In general you'll have to reinstall.

can't look at the system at the moment to know what filesystem type I
used, I probably used xfs and I did encrypt all volumes as I think that
was the default when I chose filesystem encryption at install time.

filesystems are (from memory) /boot, /, /home

so maybe luksipc may or may not be an option.

Based upon the responses and how little I've actually done on the system
it may simply be easier to just do a re-install.

Thanks Jeff