OpenSSH: client bug CVE-2016-0777 and CVE-2016-0778

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 16 11:18:14 UTC 2016

Tim:
>> This shows just one advantage of doing fresh installs, instead of
>> updates.  Those of use who do fresh installs, won't have old keys from
>> prior releases still on our systems.

Gordon Messmer:
> "Your keys" means your private authentication keys.  The ones in
> ~/.ssh.  If you keep or restore your home directory, it doesn't matter
> if you do a fresh install or an upgrade.  I have a hard time imagining
> any significant number of people disposing of all of their data every
> time they update Fedora.

I do.  I don't carry over any of the hidden config files, from one
release to another.  Just my own work.

Long ago, I found that carrying over any baggage from a prior release
risks carrying over problems that were fixed with a new release, or
adding new problems by incorporating incompatible configuration
settings.

I would suspect that a lot of people who do new installs and simply
back-up and restore personal files, or drag and drop them, don't bother
with the hidden files.  Some will, of course.  And a few are aware of
potential problems by doing so.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Boilerplate:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is
no point trying to privately email me, I only get to see the messages