WARNING you cannot build info or html versions of the R manuals

Rolf Turner r.turner at auckland.ac.nz
Sat Jan 16 21:35:44 UTC 2016

It's no big deal, but when I build R from source (as I must) I always
get the warning given in the subject line of this post.

I have searched the web a bit and have found a number of references to
this warning.  Universally the proffered solution is "install texinfo".

So I did (just now)

     sudo yum install texinfo

and was told:

> Package texinfo-4.13a-16.fc17.x86_64 already installed and latest version
> Nothing to do

I checked with "whereis texinfo" and got:

> texinfo: /usr/share/texinfo /usr/share/man/man5/texinfo.5.gz

So it's there on my system --- but perhaps not where R can find it???

Can anyone suggest to me what I need to do to get R and texinfo to
cooperate?

Please note that I am running Fedora 17.  Yes, I know, it's
antediluvian.  But for reasons I do not wish to discuss, I'm stuck
there.  (This is one of the reasons why I must build R from source.
It all works fine, except for that warning.)

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Technical Editor ANZJS