Lexar jumpdrive and Linux support

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Jan 17 18:48:52 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Alex <mysqlstudent at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just purchased a Lexar Jumpdrive S25 2x32GB USB sticks and just
> noticed it has some kind of built-in encryption. Any chance it's
> supported with Linux? What is it exactly?
>
> Before I open the package, I thought I'd post a message to see what
> people's experience has been with them?
>
> I didn't notice the encryption support until after I purchased it. I
> thought I recalled there being a problem with some USB sticks with
> encryption and support for Linux, so I thought I'd see if that was
> still the case before opening the package.

http://www.lexar.com/flash-drives/jumpdrive-s25
http://www.encryptstick.com/home-2/what-is-encryptstick-3/

It's software based, so I'd guess you can just choose to not use it.
Encryptstick isn't normally free, so what you're getting with this
product is bundled license for the software. There is a Linux version
on their download page. The only advantage I can think of over LUKS is
cross platform support, but I didn't look into enough to know if
that's in fact a feature of the product.

--
Chris Murphy