working my way through quirks with fedora 23 on new ASUS gaming laptop G752VL-DH71

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Jan 18 12:50:38 UTC 2016

Quoting Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com>:

> On 01/18/16 20:08, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>   for my own benefit, i started a wiki page to keep track of issues i run
>> across with this laptop:
>>
>> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/F23_on_ASUS_G752VL
>>
>> and i'll post solutions there as well as they come up. feel free to let
>> me know if i should add other issues, or if you have solutions and i'll
>> add them.
>
> With regards to the SSD issue.  You said the BIOS isn't detecting
> it?  The specs seem to
> indicate that the interface is SATA III but it doesn't mention if it
> is backwards
> compatible.  I ask this since I could not find the SATA spec for
> your ASUS laptop.
>
> For this issue, wouldn't it be best to contact Asus Support?

   I'll start today by calling Canada Computers where I bought both the
laptop and the SSD drive together, and they knew I planned on putting
that drive in that laptop so they should at least know whether it was
possible. And one of the techie guys there was impressively knowledgeable
about Linux so I'm going to start there. It may be something as simple as
flipping a setting in the BIOS.

rday