skype

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Mon Jan 18 19:59:04 UTC 2016

On 01/18/2016 11:49 AM, jd1008 wrote:

> On 01/18/2016 12:38 PM, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> On 01/18/2016 06:43 AM, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there a 64-bit version of skype for anything? MS users are two
>>> stupid to realize that their machines (no different from ours) have
>>> been 64-bit for a long time....
>>>
>>> I agree that it would be good to not have to install a 32-bit skype
>>> and associated libraries, but I am not aware of such a possibility.
>>>
>>> Ranjan

>> There is no 64-bit Skype for Linux (any flavor), never has been and
>> probably never will be. Remember that Skype is now owned by Microsoft
>> and Linux is really the "poor stepchild". I'm frankly amazed the 32-bit
>> thing is even maintained.
> This is the crap about closed source proprietary software. If you need
> it, then you
> have to put up with what it is - no custom builds for your preferred
> architecture,
> let alone preferred GUI.

I suppose someone with DEEP pockets could set up a VOIP gateway with
landlines so we could use OSS like ekiga, twinkle, kopete, pidgin,
etc. as normal and also have landline access. I don't see that happening
in the near future.

Of course, if you happen to know any of the people who won the last
Powerball lottery, perhaps you could convince them to sink a million or
so into it. ;-p