skype

Bernardo Sulzbach mafagafogigante at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 20:10:15 UTC 2016

> So, I am wondering why is the skype implementation proprietary?
> Since it is the physical infrastructure (the communications equipment
> and accounts database computers ...etc) that is (are) the primary
> investment,
> why should the protocol implementation be so proprietary?
> If anyone wanted to set up a similar service and had the money for the
> equipment,
> they can do so now, using open source, without the proprietary
> implementation of skype.
> So, I am just somewhat puzzled by the secretiveness of MS and the
> previous proprietors of skype.

They could benefit from what OS brings to the table, but they would
also be offering their optimizations with real time video and audio
quality adjustment (for instance) for everyone. They invested on it,
it is part of their business, they do not want to give it away because
doing so would not be good financially, and so on.

--
Bernardo Sulzbach