working my way through quirks with fedora 23 on new ASUS gaming laptop G752VL-DH71

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jan 19 12:17:27 UTC 2016

On 01/19/16 19:42, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> Quoting Tom Horsley <horsley1953 at gmail.com>:
>
>> On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 06:18:20 -0500
>> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>>    i pointed out that the SSD drive is not being used as the boot disk
>>> so i wasn't sure what grub had to do with it
>>
>> I believe you said it doesn't show up in the device list in the BIOS.
>> That is way before grub2 gets there, so I'd be highly suspicious
>> that grub2 was the problem.
>
>   that was actually my response. i'm still not sure where in the BIOS
> i'd even go looking for the SSD. i'm open to suggestions. it's PCIe,
> so if someone wants to give me a pointer, i can check for it later this
> morning. i've already wandered around the BIOS and have seen nothing
> that seems to be appropriate.

I still say the best source of information on these sort of things is the manufacturer.  I
would call them, and without mentioning Linux, ask them if the plugged in SSD will show up
in the BIOS screens and where would that be.

I don't have a laptop such as yours but if the drive is just like any drive I would expect
it to show up on the screen where you select the boot order.  On my desktop the HD's and
Optical Drive are all on SATA so they all show up in the boot order screen.

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from
computers altogether.