working my way through quirks with fedora 23 on new ASUS gaming laptop G752VL-DH71

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Tue Jan 19 13:05:39 UTC 2016

Quoting Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com>:

> I still say the best source of information on these sort of things
> is the manufacturer.  I
> would call them, and without mentioning Linux, ask them if the
> plugged in SSD will show up
> in the BIOS screens and where would that be.
>
> I don't have a laptop such as yours but if the drive is just like
> any drive I would expect
> it to show up on the screen where you select the boot order.  On my
> desktop the HD's and
> Optical Drive are all on SATA so they all show up in the boot order screen.

   *sigh* ... never mind, i believe we have the answer, and i'm embarrassed.
the slots in the laptop are clearly labelled "PCIe", and i just checked
the specs on the SSD drive and it uses the SATA III interface, which i'm
pretty sure is not going to work as explained here:

http://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/s/m2_faq

i'm also a little irked since i bought the laptop and the SSD drive at
the same time and specifically mentioned that i was putting that drive
in that laptop, and not a single salesperson warned me of the obvious
incompatibility.

also irked that subsequent follow-up calls to tech support never once
had someone suggest checking that. and it didn't help that the slot
format is the same for both interfaces.

grrrrrrrr ...

rday