working my way through quirks with fedora 23 on new ASUS gaming laptop G752VL-DH71

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Jan 19 18:29:55 UTC 2016

> Quoting Ed Greshko <ed.greshko at greshko.com>:
>
>> I still say the best source of information on these sort of things is
>> the manufacturer.  I
>> would call them, and without mentioning Linux, ask them if the plugged
>> in SSD will show up
>> in the BIOS screens and where would that be.
>>
>> I don't have a laptop such as yours but if the drive is just like any
>> drive I would expect
>> it to show up on the screen where you select the boot order.  On my
>> desktop the HD's and
>> Optical Drive are all on SATA so they all show up in the boot order
>> screen.
>
>    *sigh* ... never mind, i believe we have the answer, and i'm
> embarrassed.
> the slots in the laptop are clearly labelled "PCIe", and i just checked
> the specs on the SSD drive and it uses the SATA III interface, which i'm
> pretty sure is not going to work as explained here:
>
> http://www.kingston.com/en/ssd/s/m2_faq
>
> i'm also a little irked since i bought the laptop and the SSD drive at
> the same time and specifically mentioned that i was putting that drive
> in that laptop, and not a single salesperson warned me of the obvious
> incompatibility.
>
> also irked that subsequent follow-up calls to tech support never once
> had someone suggest checking that. and it didn't help that the slot
> format is the same for both interfaces.

Yeah, I was just going to mention that...I've never seen an SSD that
plugs directly into a PCIe slot. I'm sure they probably exist, but I've
only actually seen SATA(I/II/III) units.

Some higher-end laptops have space for a second drive (dunno about
yours). If so, the drive COULD be used along with the regular magnetic
drive.

<soap>
I don't care for SSDs as the OS device. Yes, they're fast and typically
use less power, but when they fail it's generally catastrophic and
typically without warning. You don't get SMART alerts, it just dies and
you are in a world of hurt. We have had to rebuild my boss' Macbook at
least 3 times because the SSD decided to crap out (and these were top-
of-the-line SSDs). The only saving grace is that we had TimeMachine
running on it so we had backups.

I highly suggest that if you use an SSD as your primary storage, back
up the beblistered thing as often as you can...preferably to magnetic
media.
</soap>
-  You can lead a horse to water, but if you can teach him to roll   -
-         over and float on his back...you got something!            -