Fedora 22 continuously rebooting

Ed Greshko ed.greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jan 19 21:46:31 UTC 2016

On 01/20/16 02:48, Armelius Cameron wrote:
> Sorry for my lag in response, in between work meetings with
> non-working laptop has made this an onerous day!
>
> So I've tried the following kernel options, all to no-avail:
> "systemd.unit=multi-user.target", still reboot after a few seconds, so
> does this option remove video driver issue (radeon) ?
> "acpi=off" or "noapic", kernel won't boot at all
>
> Scrolling through the journal the only thing that caught my eyes is
> the message "watchdog1 watchdog did not step". Searching on the web,
> this caught my attention
> (https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/watchdog/watchdog-api.txt):
> "A Watchdog Timer (WDT) is a hardware circuit that can reset the
> computer system in case of a software fault.", which makes me go
> "hm... does the kernel think it needs reboot all the time"
>
> So I tried modifying the timeout in /etc/systemd/system.conf, but that
> doesn't seem to have any effect either.

You may be suffering from a series of unfortunate coincidences.

I had a similar scenario a few years back.  The frequency wasn't as great as yours, but
the system would reboot at random times.  Turned out to be a power supply issue.

I'd be looking at hardware since you've said the reboot happens at random points in the
boot process.

--
In reality, some people should stick to running Windows and others should stay away from
computers altogether.