ssh confusion

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 23:23:18 UTC 2016

If I try to login to a fedora 23 virtual machine as root,
I get rejected because of "too many authentication failures"
(or something like that, I don't remember the precise
wording).

I'm running an agent, but none of the keys in the agent
would allow a root login so I expect it to fallback
to a password prompt, but I get the failure instead.

When I then try with this:

ssh -o PreferredAuthentications=keyboard-interactive,password

I do indeed get a password prompt and can login.

I suspect I'm suffering from the effects of the
changes in f23 to remove various crypto algorithms
and ssh1 support, etc. But I can't figure out
what the heck is going on.

Any ideas? I'd love to not have to dig up the
silly long option every time I want to login as root :-).