Kmail

vendor at billoblog.com vendor at billoblog.com
Sat Jan 23 14:34:16 UTC 2016

On Sat, 23 Jan 2016, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

>[snip]
> Can't really help since I gave up on Kmail years ago, but you might
> want to mention at least what kind of account this is (POP, IMAP, ...)
> as it could make a difference.
>
> Why do you think the KDE list isn't working? I haven't noticed any
> problems (though there doesn't appear to be any traffic on it today).
>
> poc

Just out of curiosity, what mail client do you use?  For umpteen zillion years, I have been an old-fashioned pine/alpine user, and I'm very happy with it.  But the text/ssh thing is getting less and less sufficient.

I normally ssh to a virtual machine I have rented as my mail and web server, and read mail in a terminal.  I'm very happy with this, mostly because there's little chance I'll accidentally download something bad.  It's hard to pervert ascii text.  And, mostly, I don't need to see whatever cute graphics and banners people add to their emails -- at least the ones I get.

But... I'm having to deal with images and attachments more and more that I *do* want to see.  In order to view the attachment and all I have is pine, I have to download it on to the Chicago machine, then sftp it to my laptop, and then open it manually.  I have in the past set up vnc to so everything on the server, but I'm just not enthusiastic about opening attachments or using a browser on my server.  If I open an attachment, I want to do it on my laptop.

So, I set up roundcube on the server, and that allows me to retrieve attachments more easily.  I'm reasonably happy with that.

But I've been thinking about setting up a "real" client.  I tried Kmail, and it "kinda" worked, but it's hassle factor seemed a bit high.  I have about 15 specialty mail addresses (e.g. one each for different professional organizations, addresses for family members, a couple of throwaways for shopping, etc), and it seemed that *one* of them always had a glitch in KMail.

billo