Starting wayland from multi-user using startx, how do I know it's wayland?

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Sat Jan 23 19:48:40 UTC 2016

I usually boot to multi-user, and then start the X server and client
from a terminal using startx.  It works great for X, but I would like
to do the same for wayland.  After reading the man for startx, I came
up with putting
#!/bin/bash

exec startlxde -- /usr/bin/Xwayland
into my ~/.Xclients file and then running startx.  It seems to work,
as I get a graphical interface running lxde.  But am I really running
wayland instead of X?  Because it looks so much like X, I couldn't see
that it wasn't X, and I wondered if startx just ignored the server
request and used its default, X. How would I tell?  There was no process
Xwayland when I checked.

If this isn't the way to start wayland from the command line, how would
I do that?

Thanks.