Audio CD burner question

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 23:41:13 UTC 2016

On 24 January 2016 at 20:57, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 24, 2016 at 11:26:42AM -0700, jd1008 wrote:

>> >I have had quite a few burners in the last 15 years or so, and as
>> >far as I can remember, none of them was NOT capable of writing CD
>> >Text.
>> >K3B has an option of editing and burning CD Text.
>> K3B pops up a banner, saying:
>>
>> MP3 Audio Decoder plugin not found.
>> K3b could not load or find the MP3 decoder plugin. This means that
>> you will not be able to create Audio CDs from MP3 files. Many Linux
>> distributions do not include MP3 support for legal reasons.
>> Solution: To enable MP3 support, please install the MAD MP3 decoding
>> library as well as the K3b MAD MP3 decoder plugin (the latter may
>> already be installed but not functional due to the missing libmad).
>> Some distributions allow installation of MP3 support via an online
>> update tool.
>
> as far as I recall, K3b wants "lame":
>
> lame.x86_64                                3.99.5-2.el7               nux-dextop
> lame-debuginfo.x86_64                      3.99.5-2.el7               nux-dextop
> lame-devel.x86_64                          3.99.5-2.el7               nux-dextop
> lame-mp3x.x86_64                           3.99.5-2.el7               nux-dextop

mp3 support is orthogonal to CD text support, to create an audio CD
K3B needs to be able to convert the files to wav format, meaning if
you're using mp3 to create an audio CD then you need mp3 support to do
it. CD text is an option you can turn on when burning audio CDs
https://doc.opensuse.org/documentation/html/openSUSE_113/opensuse-apps/cha.k3b.html
a while since I've created one, I think it will probably automatically
read the metadata for you when you add a track, but you can set
whatever titles you want (within the length limits).

--
imalone
http://ibmalone.blogspot.co.uk