texlive

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 00:17:27 UTC 2016

On Sun, 2016-01-24 at 21:45 +0000, Beartooth wrote:
> But I have no idea what it does, except that it seems to contain a
> word processor. So I have no way to guess what other software (if
> any) might call it.

It's the main Linux implementation of TeX. If that doesn't ring a bell
then clearly you've not had a lot of contact with academic publishing,
especially in Maths, Physics or CS, since probably 99% of researchers
in those fields write their papers in TeX or its cousin LaTeX. Calling
it a "word processor" is like calling Mozart a songwriter :-)

However there's certainly no reason to have it on your system if you
don't use it. Feel free to erase the whole shebang. Dnf (or yum) will
warn you before wiping anything else that depends on it.

poc