Kernel update

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Mon Jan 25 19:17:55 UTC 2016

On Mon, 25 Jan 2016 09:44:25 +0200
jarmo <oh1mrr at nic.fi> wrote:

> How come I can save my kernel 4.2.8-300 not to be cleaned. It's now
> last properly working kernel for me. Dnf update brings every now and
> then new kernel and cleans older ones. I'd like to save this working,
> so far, when I find new ones working. I know to set in dnf.conf
> installonly_limit=# higher, so helps while, but for setting it 10 is
> not wise :). Where is set that "rescue" kernel? Dnf does not clean
> that.
>
> Any help?
>
> Jarmo
>
> Fedora 23 in use with XFCE

If you install the dnf-plugins-core package, there is a plugin
dnf.plugin.protected_packages.  If you do a man on that,
man 8 dnf.plugin.protected_packages
it tells you to put the package you want protected in
/etc/dnf/protected.d

I would put the kernel package you want to protect in there, and then
try removing it with dnf. See if it tells you that it is protected.
If it doesn't, don't press Y.  :-)  The man page also says that the
currently running kernel is protected, but I have seen elsewhere that
dnf does *not* protect the currently running kernel, and that this is
per design.

If worst comes to worst, and you need to install an older kernel
package, go to koji and download an rpm you know works, and force
install it.
http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=8