how to automatically clean /tmp

Gordon Messmer gordon.messmer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 21:12:06 UTC 2016

On 01/27/2016 11:29 AM, Walter Cazzola wrote:
> I've a separate partition for /tmp that I'm used to see it wiped out at
> any reboot on my previous installation but now this is never wiped out.

That's the expected behavior.  If you specify a partition during
install, it will be used.  If you use the default layout, you'll get tmp
on tmpfs.  There's no active wiping involved, either way.  tmpfs simply
isn't persistent.

If you'd like to use tmpfs now, you can "systemctl enable tmp.mount" and
comment out the /tmp item you currently have in fstab.  When you reboot,
you should have /tmp mounted as tmpfs.

Once you've done that, you can remove the partition or LV that you're
using for /tmp now.  Then you can resize another LV to use the free
space or, if you're not using LVM, try to figure out how to do something
useful with the space.