[Fedora] Re: how to automatically clean /tmp

Walter Cazzola cazzola at di.unimi.it
Thu Jan 28 10:46:49 UTC 2016

Ok I dropped the idea of using my current /tmp partition for a tmpfs and
followed your suggestion

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> If you'd like to use tmpfs now, you can "systemctl enable tmp.mount" and
> comment out the /tmp item you currently have in fstab.  When you reboot, you
> should have /tmp mounted as tmpfs.

unfortunately this didn't work

    > systemctl enable tmp.mount
    The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be enabled
    using systemctl.
    Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
    1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's
       .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
    2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
       a requirement dependency on it.
    3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
       D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).

But I've solved it by manually adding
    tmpfs  /tmp tmpfs rw,seclabel 0 0
to /etc/fstab and commenting the line used to mount the old /tmp
partition.

I still have to rid off of one of these two tmpfs

   tmpfs  1633640  0 1633640 0% /run/user/989
   tmpfs  1633640 20 1633620 1% /run/user/526

I think I have to keep one of them since it is associated to my id (526)
but I can't imagine what the other is for and how to avoid its creation.
Googling didn't help much.

Thanks
Walter