[Fedora] Re: how to automatically clean /tmp

Jon LaBadie jonfu at jgcomp.com
Thu Jan 28 15:21:14 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 11:46:49AM +0100, Walter Cazzola wrote:
> Ok I dropped the idea of using my current /tmp partition for a tmpfs and
> followed your suggestion
>
> On Wed, 27 Jan 2016, Gordon Messmer wrote:
>
> >If you'd like to use tmpfs now, you can "systemctl enable tmp.mount" and
> >comment out the /tmp item you currently have in fstab.  When you reboot,
> >you should have /tmp mounted as tmpfs.
>
> unfortunately this didn't work
>
>    > systemctl enable tmp.mount
>    The unit files have no [Install] section. They are not meant to be enabled
>    using systemctl.
>    Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
>    1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's
>       .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
>    2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
>       a requirement dependency on it.
>    3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
>       D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).
>
> But I've solved it by manually adding
>    tmpfs  /tmp tmpfs rw,seclabel 0 0
> to /etc/fstab and commenting the line used to mount the old /tmp
> partition.
>
> I still have to rid off of one of these two tmpfs
>
>   tmpfs  1633640  0 1633640 0% /run/user/989
>   tmpfs  1633640 20 1633620 1% /run/user/526
>
> I think I have to keep one of them since it is associated to my id (526)
> but I can't imagine what the other is for and how to avoid its creation.
> Googling didn't help much.

Don't remove either one.  They are managed by the system.
They are taking no disk space (unless memory becomes full
and it will then use swap).  They are not even taking
significant memory.  In fact 989 is using 0 memory.
Why are you so intent on removing things working as
they should?

Probably user 989 is your login display manager.
Check who 989 is in /etc/passwd (grep 989 /etc/passwd).
On my system is it "lightdm".  I have a /run/user/966.
My 966 is "sddm", my display manager.

jl
Jon H. LaBadie                  jonfu at jgcomp.com