ssh colors vs. bash colors

Bill Shirley bshirley at memphis.apirx.biz
Thu Jan 28 20:31:57 UTC 2016

Try:
     cp /etc/DIR_COLORS ~/.dir_colors

edit ~/.dir_colors and make your changes.
implement changes:
    eval `dircolors -b ~/.dir_colors`
test your changes:
     ls -l

Here's the changes I found most useful for green text on black background:
RESET 0 # reset to "normal" color
DIR 01;37       # directory
LINK 04;36              # symbolic link (If you set this to 'target' instead of a
                 # numerical value, the color is as for the file pointed to.)
MULTIHARDLINK 00        # regular file with more than one link
FIFO 40;33      # pipe
SOCK 01;35      # socket
DOOR 01;35      # door
BLK 40;33;01    # block device driver
CHR 40;33;01    # character device driver
ORPHAN 40;31;01  # symlink to nonexistent file, or non-stat'able file
MISSING 01;05;37;41 # ... and the files they point to
SETUID 37;41    # file that is setuid (u+s)
SETGID 30;43    # file that is setgid (g+s)
CAPABILITY 30;41        # file with capability
STICKY_OTHER_WRITABLE 30;42 # dir that is sticky and other-writable (+t,o+w)
OTHER_WRITABLE 34;42 # dir that is other-writable (o+w) and not sticky
STICKY 37;44    # dir with the sticky bit set (+t) and not other-writable

# This is for files with execute permission:
EXEC 01;32

Links are underlined which is nice.

Bill