dnsmasq won't start

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 00:40:31 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-01-28 at 23:15 +0100, Tom H wrote:
> >> Or do you have libvirt installed (it's the default libvirt bridge
> >> name)?
> >
> > I do, though nothing seems to depend on it. libvirtd is running,
> > presumably as part of the standard KVM system, but AFAIK that's
> > independent of VBox.
>
> If you're running libvirt, then it's providing virbr0.

Fair enough.

> Unless you've changed the default, you can confirm this with "virsh
> net-dumpxml default | grep bridge".

I shut down the bridge to get dnsmasq to work.

$ virsh net-dumpxml default | grep bridge
error: failed to get network 'default'
error: Network not found: no network with matching name 'default'

As I said, I don't know why libvirtd is running in the first place as I
don't use KVM, but I may have enabled it some time in the past as an
experiment. However presumably some people do have both libvirtd and
dnsmasq running on the same machine, so there must be a more elegant
way of doing this.

poc