ssh colors vs. bash colors

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Fri Jan 29 13:04:29 UTC 2016

On 28.01.2016 12:48, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2016-01-28 at 03:58 +0100, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>> I noticed that when I ssh into a CentOS 7 Host I get slightly darker
>> colors in the ls output compared to the local (gnome-terminal) bash.
>> Since I'm using a dark background the darker blue used for directories
>> for example on the remote host is harder to read then the slightly
>> brighter blue used on the local system.
>> Does anyone have an idea why the colors are different and how to
>> change that?
>
> Two approaches:
>
> You have environment variables which say what colour codes to use with
> which filetypes.  It would seem one system is merely using blue, the
> other using bright and blue (it's a two-part thing).
>
> Depending on what your terminal is, if you're using a graphical one, you
> can change the palette used by each colour, and make your dark blue
> brighter.

Thanks for the pointers everyone. There seems to be a subtle difference
in what "dircolors" reports and what is present in the LS_COLORS env
variable:

0 dennis at nexus ~ $ dircolors
LS_COLORS='rs=0:di=01;34:ln=01;36:mh=00:.....

0 dennis at nexus ~ $ env|grep LS_COLORS
LS_COLORS=rs=0:di=38;5;33:ln=38;5;51:mh=00:.....

Notice how the entries in the dircolors" output have only two values but
the entries in the env variable three values associated with them.

Now I only need to figure out what exactly "di=01;34" vs. "di=38;5;33"
means...

Regards,
  Dennis