dns question??

Mike Wright nobody at nospam.hostisimo.com
Sun Jan 31 21:22:34 UTC 2016

On 01/31/2016 09:57 AM, bruce wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Researching dns/naming. (sortof fed!!)
>
> Assume I have a server -rackspace/digitalocean/etc.. And I and I want
> to serve the DNS via something like cloudflare.
>
> The test server(s) aren't going to be webservers, they're going to be
> used to test apps..
>
> As far as I can tell, most of the sites say you need to already have a
> "name" from a domain name provider. That can't be right, can it!! One
> can have a dns process internal to an org, providing dns names to
> machines all over the place. Granted, those machines/names might be
> internal/private.
>
> So, does one need an "actual" real name for an externally facing
> server in order to process the DNS so one can do a "ssh test at foo.com"
> or can you use something like "ssh test at foo.example.com"

yes

> At the same time.. if you do need a real/actual "domain name" for the
> externally facing box, digitalocean provides for both public/private
> networks for the linux instances. If you run a private network, would
> you then be able to create your own name for the internal instances
> that would be available to the other instances on the private
> network??

Pete and Shawn both give good advice.  However, if you'd like a quick
solution using a fake domain name *internally* I'd recommend djbdns's
tinydns.  tinydns allows you to declare yourself AUTHORITATIVE for zones
without having to connect to the root name servers.

To test this I just created feefle.farfle. and paired it with
53.53.10.in-addr.arpa. and it worked without a hitch.  Combined with
dnscache, also part of djbdns, you would have a complete
authority/recursive name server setup for your private space.

If this interests you let me know and I'll contact you off list.

Mike Wright