How to disable IPv6 configuration properly?

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Tue Mar 1 19:15:31 UTC 2016

Hi all,

for some reason I’ve to temporarily deactivate IPv6 interface configuration on a F22 server box.

According to documentation (or at least as I understood) it could be done either by adding

IPV6INIT=no
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

or

NETWORKING_IPV6=no
IPV6_AUTOCONF=no
to /etc/sysconfig/network

I tried both, executed "nmcli c reload", "systemctl restart NetworkManager", even rebooted the system.
No change in network configuration. In ifconfig I have a local link address as well as a global address as advertised by the router and autoconfig based on mac address.

All those options are documented in usr/share/doc/initscripts/sysconfig.txt, so I guess these are still valid options.

Now I’m wondering what I may have overlooked or missed?

Any hint appreciated.

Peter

—
Dr. Peter Boy
Universität Bremen
Mary-Sommerville-Str. 5
28359 Bremen
Germany

pb at zes.uni-bremen.de
www.zes.uni-bremen.de

Are you looking for a web content management system for scientific research organizations?
Have a look at http://www.scientificcms.org