Where is my qemu ? Can i install it without breaking everythin

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Wed Mar 2 01:47:08 UTC 2016

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 16:28:48 +0100
thibaut noah <thibaut.noah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, when i first install my setup i used alex's blog :
> http://vfio.blogspot.fr/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-3-host.html
> Thus it seems i installed qemu by adding fedora virt preview
> repository and updating fedora :
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Virtualization_Preview_Repository
>
> Problem is when i list my packages with dnf list qemu i got :
> qemu.x86_64      2:2.5.-6.fc23      fedora-virt-preview

A package naming conflict because of different repositories.

> Problem is i cannot remove this package using this name, it doesn't
> work. Using dnf update i can see on the updated list :
>
> qemu-common
> qemu-guest-agent
> qemu-img
> qemu-kvm
> qemu-system-x86
>
> So question, how to get rid of this or just updating qemu to 2.5
> If i remove the repo and upgrade the system to fedora 24 will this
> remove the package thus allowing me to get the new version of qemu?

Unlikely.  Actually, almost definitely no.

If you do rpm -qi qemu, does it give package information?  It should,
or else it isn't in the rpm database.  What does rpm -qa | grep -i qemu
show?

It makes no sense that dnf can't remove it if it is in the rpm
database.  Is there any kind of failure message?  What happens if you
use the -v (--verbose) option to dnf?  Do you have qemu set up as a
protected package?

If it is in the rpm database, it can be removed using rpm, as well.
The man page will tell you how.  But better to use the package manager
if you can.

I notice that the epoch on the virt-preview package is 2.  I don't know
what it is on the fedora package, but if it is less than 2, no updates
are going to occur as long as that virt-preview package is installed.

Mixing repositories is problematic for exactly this reason, unless
there is close coordination.