hfsplus problems

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Fri Mar 4 20:59:23 UTC 2016

On 03/04/2016 12:45 PM, jd1008 wrote:
> but as you know, fsck runs automagically when the system detects insertion
> into the usb port a storage device, and attempts to mount it, and find
> it was
> not shutdown cleanly, and runs the fsck.
> So, not sure about the "grip" :)

I don't think that this is what's happening, because the system
shouldn't be able to mount the drive until fsck is finished.  It's
always best to run fsck when the partition isn't mounted, especially if
you expect it to need repair and I'd expect mount to fail if you try to
run mount something that's getting fscked.

> I wonder if I should open a bug at bugzilla.redhat.com
> and/or at bugzilla.kernel.org.

Next time this happens, find out if fsck is running.  Run this:

ps aux | grep fsck | grep -v grep

in a terminal (no need for root) and if you get no response except a
prompt, fsck isn't running somewhere.