Patching qemu from fedora-virt-preview repo?

thibaut noah thibaut.noah at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 06:53:42 UTC 2016

> So it shouldn't be a problem to use the fedora packages directly.  And
> they would have the patches already.

Nope, the patches are not currently upstream and we don't have any release
date.

> I wonder if the qemu at virt-preview is a master package, that only
> installs other packages.  I'm not a packager, but I think there are
> packages that are sort of like virtual functions.
>
> what exactly is a master package? i googled it and didn't find any
explanation

> So, because you already have 2.5.0, you don't actually need to update
> in order to patch?

Yes that's exactly this.

> I think at this point you've exhausted me as a resource, and need
> someone more knowledgeable.  Because, what I would do would be to
> download the fedora packages to the local machine (they're at 2.5.0-8),
> and install them using the dnf -C upgrade command.  That way, you get
> the patches without any need to mess around with source packages.  It
> might mess up the virt-preview repo if you need it in future.  But if
> your system is running without the qemu package from virt-preview, you
> don't need it, and can get back in sync with fedora.  As a precaution,
> you could get the binary packages for the qemu stuff you have installed
> from virt-preview.  And if you have to downgrade because the fedora
> packages don't work, you could just do a dnf -C downgrade with those
> packages.
>
> But it is possible I don't really understand your issue, and that might
> be the wrong thing to do.

Finding someone with specific knowledge would be hard, i tried the vfio
mailing list 4days ago but didn't get any answer and they're pretty much
the only ones who will know this.
Actually i could remove everything from virt-preview if i knew what's
needed for libvirt to run, will probably end up doing this anyway but i
hoped for more insight, was a bit worry to break my system.