Patching qemu from fedora-virt-preview repo?

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Sun Mar 6 21:20:37 UTC 2016

On Sat, 5 Mar 2016 08:42:31 +0100
thibaut noah <thibaut.noah at gmail.com> wrote:

> Also : No source RPM found for 2:qemu-2.5.0-8.fc23.x86_64
> How is this possible that even with fedora-virt-preview-source i
> cannot get qemu srpm with yumdownloader?

This package does not seem to exist.

> >> So it shouldn't be a problem to use the fedora packages directly.
> >> And they would have the patches already.
> >>

> > Nope, the patches are not currently upstream and we don't have any
> > release date.

I thought you said that the patches were developed by Fedora devs.
Aren't they then included in the Fedora packages?  I ask because it is
common for the Fedora kernel to have patches included that have not
gone upstream yet.  In some cases, they will never go upstream.  I am
assuming that would be the case here as well.

> >> I wonder if the qemu at virt-preview is a master package, that only
> >> installs other packages.  I'm not a packager, but I think there are
> >> packages that are sort of like virtual functions.
> >>
> >> what exactly is a master package? i googled it and didn't find
> >> any
> >> explanation

What I know is what I wrote in the paragraph above.  It's speculation.
And it might not even be called a master package.  It's a package that
installs other packages, but isn't installed itself.  A meta package.

It doesn't sound like qemu is one of those.  What happens if you try to
install the qemu package from virt-preview?  You can always say no at
the prompt.

> > Finding someone with specific knowledge would be hard, i tried the
> > vfio mailing list 4days ago but didn't get any answer and they're
> > pretty much the only ones who will know this.
> > Actually i could remove everything from virt-preview if i knew
> > what's needed for libvirt to run, will probably end up doing this
> > anyway but i hoped for more insight, was a bit worry to break my
> > system.

You can do a
dnf remove libvirt-client
to see the dependencies for libvirt.  Here, there are none.

It would be really hard to get your system to an unusable state by
touching only libvirt and qemu packages.  You can always just put it
back the way it was, because the system will still be functioning.