hfsplus problems

Rick Stevens ricks at alldigital.com
Tue Mar 8 17:42:22 UTC 2016

On 03/08/2016 05:53 AM, Tim wrote:
> Allegedly, on or about 08 March 2016, Cameron Simpson sent:
>> That depends on your point of view. Technically, this whole thing:
>>
>>    Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au>
>>
>> is my email address. A mail system is only meant to pay attention to
>> certain parts of it for delivery purposes, but it is _all_ "my
>> address".
>
> Well, from what I've read, mostly long ago.  You get
>
> display name (comment) <address>
>
> Whack a comma on the end, and you can build up a list of other
> addresses, to send emails to multiple recipients.  And because of that
> (using a comma as a delimiter), if you want a comma in your display
> name, you need to quote it.  e.g. "Doe, John" <john at example.com>
>
> But the /address/ is the only part used for delivery purposes.  As far
> as the SMTP system is concerned, that's the address.
>
> But I take your point.  If I write an address on a snail mail envelope,
> we do consider the whole thing the address to them.  Though, generally
> speaking, the post office doesn't care about the name.  They're like
> SMTP, only caring about the location details.  You're going to need to
> know your local postman on a more personal level before they hesitate in
> giving you an envelope with someone else's name on it.
>
>>> If you suspect someone you write to is responsible for spam coming in
>>> your direction, you can slightly tailor your personal details outside
>>> of the address, and see if they get passed along, to confirm your
>>> suspicions.
>
>> Ah. Disinformation! Neat. Has this ever paid off for you?
>
> Unfortunately, not.  When it's come to submitting my address to
> something, on-line or otherwise, I always forget to do so.  But I have
> caught one or two out by using completely different email addresses.
> That's one benefit of owning your own domain name, you can create new
> addresses as you see fit.  Well, you can do that with some other
> services, too, but you have to jump through more hoops.  One day we're
> going to be screwed by a company that insists on phone verification, and
> only one email address per phone number.
>
> If I'd remembered to modify an existing address, I could have saved
> myself that extra hassle.  Though I really don't want to do it by
> slightly misspelling my name, as some people do with this trick.  Seeing
> my name wrong is just too grating.
>
> Some of the big services did allow you to make sub-addresses to your
> existing account, either by adding a plus symbol and a word before the @
> sign, or sometimes a dot, without having to configure anything extra
> with them (simply use the additional address, and it accepts it).
>
> e.g.  <someone+extrabit at example.com> or <someone.extrabit at example.com>

Uhm, if this is going to continue, please start a new thread. This last
spate of messages has nothing whatsoever to do with the subject of the
thread. I know it's hard not to go off on tangents, but this is pretty
far out.

-          "How does that damned three seashell thing work?"         -
-                           -- Sylvester Stallone, "Demolition Man"  -