DWA192 Network Connection Speed Slow

Stephen Morris samorris at netspace.net.au
Mon Mar 14 20:56:29 UTC 2016

On 10/03/16 12:35, stan wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:55:05 +1100
> Stephen Morris <samorris at netspace.net.au> wrote:
>

>> Thankyou for your response. I've just checked the config for the
>> 4.4.3 kernel and CONFIG_ATH9K_CHANNEL_CONTEXT isn't set at all. I
>> could compile the kernel to set that flag, but is there any chance
>> that it would be set by default in the kernel, or does it cause
>> problems if the adapter isn't actually dual channel?
> I'm not an expert on this, but my take on the code is that it had to be
> explicitly set.  And I can't answer your question about whether it is a
> problem for single channel if dual channel is set.  The code looked
> pretty complex, I didn't look in depth, and I don't have the background
> to really understand it.  An incompatibility would explain why it isn't
> set, but I can't see expert developers like those who work on the
> kernel not allowing for that situation to be harmless.
>
> Before worrying about incompatibilities, you could try to compile a
> kernel with the config switch set.  If that kernel works with your
> card, then you could worry about how to deal with incompatibilities, if
> there are any.  Maybe by booting different kernels for different cards;
> crude but effective.
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel
>
> I don't really know enough to answer your questions, but I think this
> is at least a possible explanation for your difficulties with the card
> you have.
I could compile the kernel to set the flag, as a wireless connection
speed jumping from 525Mbps on 2.4GHz to 1.3Gbps on 5GHz can be
significant, especially when streaming. I'll need to research how to
compile a kernel under Fedora, and what additional source packages I
need (I found some documentation on this on the net), as it is about 10
years since I last compiled a kernel.
I was just hoping it would be automatically done in the kernel, as with
the previous usb card I had, I found it a pain to have to compile the
driver every time the kernel changed and to have to go back to the web
site every so often to get an updated version of the driver source
because what I had didn't support the kernel I was using.

regards,
Steve