rooting/flashing an android phone from fedora

Ranjan Maitra maitra.mbox.ignored at inbox.com
Thu Mar 17 14:50:26 UTC 2016

On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 11:21:20 +0100 Sjoerd Mullender <sjoerd at acm.org> wrote:

> On 17/03/16 03:28, Ranjan Maitra wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have been trying to install Cyanogenmod on a Samsung Galaxy Nexus using Fedora 23. According to the documentation available at http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_maguro I have to use adb and fastboot which are available on fedora under android-tools. So, all of it is downloaded without a hitch, but I can not get adb or fastboot to "work". Reading on, I have tried the workarounds proposed, to no avail. It appears that I need to add my username to a group plugdev but there is no group by that name. I tried using
> >
> > sudo groupadd plugdev
> >
> > and that did add the group. Next, I tried:
> >
> > sudo gpasswd -a username plugdev
> >
> > as per http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/UDEV
> >
> > with my username in place but still:
> >
> > $ groups
> > username wheel
> >
> > However, system-config-users indicates that the group plugdev is checked.
> >
> > Needless to say, I have come to a halt. Is there any workaround (or even a better approach using Fedora) for this task?
> >
> > Many thanks and best wishes,
>
> Logout and back in.  Groups are initialized on login.

Thanks! Btw, this next question is more general: is there any other option other than logout and log back in to initialize groups? (I really do not always want to logout and log back in.)

Best wishes,
Ranjan

--
Important Notice: This mailbox is ignored: e-mails are set to be deleted on receipt. Please respond to the mailing list if appropriate. For those needing to send personal or professional e-mail, please use appropriate addresses.