philosophy

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Mar 25 06:22:44 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-03-24 at 16:01 +0000, Christopher wrote:
> I certainly wouldn't want any package to automatically open any ports
> when I install or start a service.

I lean towards the opposite.  If I'm installing a server, I want to
actually use it.  So, if the firewall needs modifying, it makes sense to
do so.

At the very least, there ought to be some kind of option to
automatically open the firewall for you.  Whether that be a question
during install, addition of an appropriate tickbox to the firewall
configurator, or the option to install another small package that opens
the firewall (e.g. something like install ftpserver & ftpserver-config).

While adding an install question may be awkward for automated installs,
I see no reason why an manual install doesn't ask a series of questions
at the end of the sequence.  Or, at least, leaves messages in the
terminal alerting you to the need to configure your firewall (perhaps,
first checking if the current firewall config will block it).

--
tim at localhost ~]$ uname -rsvp

Linux 3.19.8-100.fc20.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 12 17:42:35 UTC 2015 i686

All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point trying
to privately email me, I will only read messages posted to the public lists.