modify crappy partitionning

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Fri Mar 25 19:37:30 UTC 2016

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 11:06 AM, thibaut noah <thibaut.noah at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, i currently have a performance issue (slow vm and system) due to a
> crappy partitionning i did on my fedora install, wish i knew better at the
> time.
> So basically i have two disks, one ssd and one hard drive.
> My ssd partitions :
> /dev/sdc1 ext4 /boot
> /dev/sdc2 lvm2 pv root
> /dev/sdc3 ext4 /home    (this is not currently mounted)
>
> my hard drive partitios :
> /dev/sdb1 lvm2 pv Home (it includes apparently the swap too)
>
> here is my fstab
> http://ur1.ca/oohd9
>
> Following the thread here :
> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/50007/how-to-change-home-directory-location-to-be-on-hdd-drive-when-system-is-installed-on-ssd/
>
> I created a new partition (sdc3) where i rsynced my /home and i tried to
> mount things.
> It does indeed mount without error it seems but i cannot boot on it.
> I assume the problem is coming from lvm and the swap partition but i have no
> clue how to solve this, could someone give me a hint please? (if it is
> fixable of course).

Helps to read the whole thing...

Your fstab is wrong so basic.target fails which is why boot fails. You
need to delete or comment out line 10 from fstab. And then you need to
put in a new entry for /home that uses the correct UUID. You can get
the correct UUID from the 'blkid' command. You'll use UUID because the
new home isn't on LVM, so you can't reference it with a device mapper
path like the existing one.

But really the simpler thing to have done originally is just leave
everything LVM and remove the SSD.

--
Chris Murphy