PulseAudio

stan stanl-fedorauser at vfemail.net
Wed Mar 30 02:40:08 UTC 2016

On Tue, 29 Mar 2016 21:44:34 +0100
Richard Ibbotson <richard.ibbotson at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Ok, so either you haven't loaded the necessary kernel module for
> > your sound card (the modules typically have the text "snd" in their
> > name) or your sound card went bye-bye. Try "lspci | grep -i audio"
> > and see what you get. On my desktop (with several physical sound
> > devices)
>
> https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/45118/sound-suddenly-stopped-working-on-f20/
>
> Finally found this. Which might or might not give some clues. The bit
> at the bottom of the page might be worth trying. Remove wine-
> pulseaudio.

I think this is a red herring.  If the kernel isn't recognizing your
sound card, nothing you do is going to get sound.  If you tell it to
load the kernel module, but the hardware isn't responding, there will
still be no sound.  If the hardware was responding, the kernel would
have automatically loaded the correct module.

if the command
aplay -lL
shows no sound devices (your case), the kernel hasn't recognized any
sound devices installed on your system.

You can try opening the case and reseating the sound device if it isn't
built into the Mboard.  Or try another kernel.  Do you have another OS
installed on the same system?  Try booting into that other OS.  Is
there sound?