[fedora-virt] how can i verify that HW extensions are being used?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Thu Apr 16 20:09:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Mike Hinz wrote:
>
> > It also acts differently than a normal Fedora 11 beta install on
> > physical HW in that it asks you for some network adapter info and
> > it appears to me, to install entirely from the network as the
> > lights on lab switch goes nuts as does the network activity light
> > on my server AND I see essentially zero activity on the DVD drive
> > on the server.
>
>   good lord, he's right.  at the moment, during a fresh install, my
> network is going bananas with traffic to/from fedora.mirror.iweb.ca.
> the install DVD isn't being used.  what's up with *that*?

  NOTE:  don't be filing this as a bug against virtualization.  only a
few days ago, i was going bananas, doing a normal install of f11 beta
x86_64 on a non-networked laptop, and i was *constantly* being
prompted for network interface activation, as if i had said i wanted a
network-based install.  and when i refused to give net interface info
(it wasn't even networked, remember?), the install aborted.

  it looks like that's what's happening here when, even though i want
to do a DVD-based guest install, i'm being asked to enable the network
interface (eth0 - virtio0) for no apparent reason, at which point the
install jumps into net install mode (which would *certainly* explain a
horrifically slow guest install if your network just happens to be
slow at the time).

  given that this happens with a *regular* install, i'm guessing it's
a basic f11 beta install bug that just happens to affect a guest
install as well.

  does that make sense?

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday