[fedora-virt] what exactly is "virt-viewer" supposed to do?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 19:05:04 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 02:58:27PM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   having long ago gotten over my embarrassment at asking dumb
> questions, what can i get "virt-viewer" to do for me?  i have a
> perfectly respectable guest system named "f1164", but nothing i do
> with "virt-viewer" will give me any useful info for that guest.

It connects to the graphical console of the guest using VNC. It is
launched automatically by virt-install if you requested vnc.

>   can someone give me a sample invocation that will print something
> besides:

There are several examples in the man page ("man 1 virt-viewer").

5B
> syntax: virt-viewer [OPTIONS] DOMAIN-NAME|ID|UUID
>
> virt-viewer version 0.0.3

>   -h, --help              display command line help
>   -v, --verbose           display verbose information
>   -V, --version           display version information
>   -d, --direct            direct connection with no automatic tunnels
>   -c URI, --connect URI   connect to hypervisor URI
>   -w, --wait              wait for domain to start

As per that syntax help....

For a local guest clal 'demo' using default libvirt connect

          virt-viewer demo

For a local QEMU guest with ID 7

          virt-viewer --connect qemu:///system 7

For a local guest with UUID, waiting for it to startup

          virt-viewer --wait 66ab33c0-6919-a3f7-e659-16c82d248521

For a remote Xen guest, connecting  to libvirt using TLS

          virt-viewer --connect xen://example.org/ demo

For a remote Xen guest, connecting to libvirt using SSH tunnels

          virt-viewer --connect xen+ssh://root@example.org/ demo

Daniel