[fedora-virt] ANNOUNCE: Rawhide virt repo for F11 users

Ján ONDREJ (SAL) ondrejj at salstar.sk
Wed Aug 5 15:46:43 UTC 2009

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 04:12:41PM +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-08-05 at 16:25 +0200, Ján ONDREJ (SAL) wrote:

> > > What does this give:
> > >
> > >   $> groupadd -r foo
> > >   $> getent group foo
> > >
> > > That version of shadow-utils should be allocating system groups high in
> > > the 400-500 range
> >
> > Yes, this does.
> >
> > [root at work ondrejj]# groupadd -r foo
> > [root at work ondrejj]# getent group foo
> > foo:x:488:
> > [root at work ondrejj]#
> >
> > Why do you think, this problem was caused by ascending or descending
> > allocation? I think it does not matter, how it's allocated, when it's
> > allocating same GID for 2 groups.
>
> The openvpn group is added using the 'groupadd -r openvpn' command
>
> I don't understand how that ever allocated gid 107, unless you had
> shadow-utils-4.1.2-13.fc11 installed at some point because it should
> normally allocate a gid closer to 107.

May be it has nothing with shadow-utils, but may be with an older openvpn.
My openvpn was installed years ago, may be in Fedora 8.

> In any case, the version of shadow-utils just built today will never
> allocate gids in the 100-200 range.
>
> The qemu group is added using 'groupadd -g 107 -r qemu' because it has
> had gid 107 reserved for it. See the uidgid file in the setup RPM.

Hmm, ok. So I have to change my openvpn group. I will do this.

But why we can't have dynamic qemu group? Why it need to be defined
statically? May be it will conflict with another packages or user settings.

			SAL