[fedora-virt] Network configuration for qemu+kvm

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Tue Aug 18 21:52:04 UTC 2009

On Sunday 16 August 2009 23:35:07 Dale Bewley wrote:
> http://www.libvirt.org/formatdomain.html#elementsNICS
> http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Fedora.2FRHEL_Bridging

Dale ... first, I want to thank you for providing these URLs as this is the
type of information I have been looking for.

I do not usually like changing the subject for a reply but I am taking this
thread in a somewhat different direction.

Here are some questions for anyone on this mailing list:

1. Is the documentation cited in the above URLs currently valid for Fedora 11
and Fedora 11 + preview?  Virtualization on Fedora is a fast moving work in
progress.  Thus, documentation does not usually keep up with the reality of
the code.  If there are differences, can someone point me to documentation
about these differences.

2.  I am a recent convert to qemu-kvm from VMware.  While the NAT NIC
interface should work for some of my needs, I would also like something
similar to VMware's "bridged" NIC so that the guest looks just like another
system on my local network.

While the documentation from the above URLs is useful, I also found some
possible contradictions where I need some clarification.

3.  Looking at http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Fedora.2FRHEL_Bridging
I conclude that to get bridged networking I will need a separate bridge device
for every guest that could run concurrently.  While this could be done, it is
also a bit of a pain to keep track of which guest is using which bridged
interface.

4.  After noodling around the two documentation web sites I found:
http://www.libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#examples which implies that I can
set up additional interfaces similar to the NAT interface ... one as a routed
(bridged) interface and a second type for an isolated network ("host-only")
interface.  Furthermore, the implication is that guests can share the virbr0,
virbr1, and virbr2 interfaces.  I sure hope this works because it is precisely
what I am looking for.

Suggestions, pointers to additional documentation and any other comments are
appreciated.

BTW, if the virbr0, virbr1, virbr2 stuff does work as implied in
http://www.libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#examples then I suggest that these
definitions should be added to the default.xml definition for networks ... not
necessarily all autostarted but certainly defined.

Gene