[fedora-virt] Network configuration for qemu+kvm

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Wed Aug 19 14:36:01 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 19 August 2009 06:15:06 Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > 3.  Looking at
> > http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Fedora.2FRHEL_Bridging I conclude
> > that to get bridged networking I will need a separate bridge device for
> > every guest that could run concurrently.  While this could be done, it is
> > also a bit of a pain to keep track of which guest is using which bridged
> > interface.
>
> Nope, that's not true - set up e.g. br0 as described in the doc and then
> for each guest do:
>
>   <interface type='bridge'>
>     <mac address='...'/>
>     <source bridge='br0'/>
>   </interface>
>
> each guest will have a tap interface added to the bridge

OK, so I only need to setup/define one bridge interface which can then be
"shared" among the guests.  That sounds good!

However, I also mentioned this:

4.  After noodling around the two documentation web sites I found:
http://www.libvirt.org/formatnetwork.html#examples which implies that I can
set up additional interfaces similar to the NAT interface ... one as a routed
(bridged) interface and a second type for an isolated network ("host-only")
interface.  Furthermore, the implication is that guests can share the virbr0,
virbr1, and virbr2 interfaces.  I sure hope this works because it is precisely
what I am looking for.

As I said, this implies to me that something (libvirtd?) will "automagically"
setup/start the interfaces ... it also shows defining an isolated network.
Does anyone know if this works?

[I am currently shuffling some systems and hardware around so my qemu-kvm
capabilities are currently "down" ... when I get them back, I am going to give
both methods a try.]

Gene