[fedora-virt] Assigning public static ip address to vm's.

Gene Czarcinski gene at czarc.net
Fri Aug 21 15:22:19 UTC 2009

On Friday 21 August 2009 10:27:35 Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> New to virtualsation how does one go about disabling the default rfc1918
> dhcp server ( or leave it running ) and manually assign a public ip
> address to vm's?

I am also new to qemu-kvm virtualization.  I have been working out networking
myself right now.

I believe what you want/need is "bridged" networking interface which will
allow putting your guest on your local network just like a "real" system.  See
http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Fedora.2FRHEL_Bridging
for the process.  Don't worry, the changes will add the "br0" interface in
place of the eth0 (or whatever) which your host will now use.  When you create
a new guest (or add network hardware to an old one), you can specify the "br0"
interface instead of the "default" NAT interface.

Note -- there are ways to assign static IPs on the NAT interface but any guest
using the NAT interface will not (cannot) be seen from another system.

Gene